A British filmmaker who shot interviews with Donald Trump and his inner circle in the final months of his administration has claimed the former president ‘absolutely’ knew that his refusal to accept defeat in the election would result in violence.
Alex Holder said Trump was ‘incredibly dangerous’ because he lived in a ‘different reality’ where he refused to admit he was wrong and had lost the election to Joe Biden legitimately.
Holder amassed more than 100 hours of video, including interviews with Trump and his family from the campaign trail as well as before and after the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol, for the documentary ‘Unprecedented’.
Holder testified before the Jan. 6 House Committee for two hours and handed over footage from the documentary ‘pertaining to discussions of election fraud or election integrity surrounding the November 2020 presidential election’ after he was subpoenaed.
He also revealed he now has ‘two armed guards’ for protection following the subpoena, which he fully cooperated with.
Alex Holder said Trump was ‘incredibly dangerous’ because he lived in a ‘different reality’ where he refused to admit he was wrong and had lost the election to Joe Biden legitimately
‘Donald Trump is not a rational player. I mean he just isn’t,’ Holder told Yahoo News in a podcast.
‘You can’t have a conversation with him in the same way that you can have a conversation with most other people. He is somebody that lives in a different reality.’
Holder said that during filming he found that Trump was ‘delusional’ and believed his own lies about election fraud.
‘This is a person who is delusional,’ Holder said. ‘That is a person who is incredibly dangerous, because you can’t debate with that person.
‘There is no way that anybody can persuade Donald Trump that he’s wrong. And this is something that’s characteristic of him all the way through his life. He will always double back. He’s always right, and it’s always somebody else’s fault.’
Holder claimed that Trump was ‘absolutely’ convinced there would be violence after the election.
‘It was so obvious. This was his last hurrah,’ Holder said. ‘He had this ridiculous idea that intervening in this ceremonial process of certifying these results could somehow prevent President Biden being inaugurated.’
Holder amassed more than 100 hours of video, including interviews with Trump (pictured on June 25) and his family from the campaign trail as well as before and after the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol, for the documentary ‘Unprecedented’
Violent insurrectionists loyal to President Donald Trump storm the Capitol, Jan. 6, 2021, in Washington
Earlier this week, Cassidy Hutchinson, the 25-year-old former assistant to Trump’s then-White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, testified that Trump knew that his supporters had weapons when they attended his Ellipse rally the morning of Jan 6.
Hutchinson also told the Democrat-led committee that Trump wanted to join them at the Capitol Building – so much that he threw a tantrum in his SUV – and threw a plate of food at the wall when he found out Attorney General Bill Barr had publicly knocked down his false claims of widespread voter fraud.
Hutchinson also claimed Trump knew his supporters were armed that day – and was ‘furious’ that they could not get into the official grounds for his Stop The Steal rally immediately before the riot.
‘Who cares if they have weapons, they’re not here to hurt me,’ she recalled hearing Trump say. He had been told that armed rally attendees were being kept out of the area because they could not get through the security checkpoint. She said Trump complained it made the crowd look smaller.
Cassidy Hutchinson appeared Tuesday in front of the House select committee on January 6 and testified that former President Donald Trump knew his supporters had weapons in the crowd before the Capitol attack. She also detailed several tantrums
Meanwhile, Holder told the BBC that he has been assigned two security guards who ‘follow me around everywhere’ by Discovery+ after he and his footage was subpoenaed by the House committee.
He added that he has also been the subject of conspiracy theories.
‘According to some, I’m an undercover FBI agent, some think I’m an MI6 spy, and there’s all sorts of conspiracies and threats that are coming through,’ he told the BBC.
Holder has said his series had been bought by the streaming service and was to be released in three parts this summer.
The hours of video footage includes exclusive interviews with Trump, his children and then-Vice President Mike Pence while on the campaign trail, Holder has said.
The US House Committee sent a subpoena to Holder on June 15 which demanded the filmmaker hand over footage from the documentary.
The subpoena demanded three things – the first being any footage Holder and his colleagues took in Washington, D.C. on January 6, 2021.
Secondly, the panel wants any raw footage of interviews Holder had with Trump, his sons Eric and Don Jr., his daughter and senior adviser Ivanka Trump, his senior adviser and son-in-law Jared Kushner and his No. 2 Mike Pence.
The committee also wanted Holder to hand over ‘any raw footage pertaining to discussions of election fraud or election integrity surrounding the November 2020 presidential election.’
Holder complied with the requests.
The British filmmaker responded to news of the subpoena in a public statement, saying that he had no ‘agenda’ going into the project other than documenting the final six weeks of Trump’s reelection campaign.
‘We simply wanted to better understand who the Trumps were and what motivated them to hold onto power so desperately,’ Holder explained in his statement on the matter, which he posted to Twitter.
He added: ‘We have dutifully handed over all the materials the Committee has asked for and we are fully cooperating.’